This policy (Policy) sets out how Alvie Pty Ltd ACN 653 536 068 (Us/ We) manages your personal information* in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and all other applicable Australian privacy laws. In particular, this policy describes:
- The type of personal information that we may collect
- How we collect and store personal information
- The purposes for which we use and disclose personal information
- How you can access, manage or correct information about you, or make a complaint about how we have managed your personal information
This policy applies to all personal information collected by us in relation to the ALVIE social networking services (Services).
We review this policy every 12 months to ensure it is up to date. Any changes to this policy will be updated here.
2. What type of information we may collect
We collect personal information from users of the Services, their carer or guardian as well as our employees/ contractors and other third parties.
We do not collect personal information unless it is reasonably necessary for our functions or activities in operating the Service, and we will ensure that any information we collect is relevant for the purpose for which it is collected.
Generally, and depending on the purpose for which we require it, we may collect the below information.
2.1. Information you provide us
- Contact details (e.g. address, email address, telephone number)
- Identification information (e.g. date of birth, profile pictures)
- Payment details (e.g. credit card details)
- Information that you disclose in the course of using or interacting with the Services
Depending on how you are involved with the Services, we may also need to collect sensitive information** from you, including:
- Your gender
- Health information (including NDIS details)
- Other information about you (e.g. relationship to the user if you are a carer or guardian, employment status)
We will obtain your consent when collecting sensitive information.
2.2. Information we receive from others
We may also obtain information (including sensitive information) about you from others, including:
- Information provided by a carer or guardian
- Information from government entities (including the NDIA)
- Information from any relevant government entity in relation to conducting police checks (such as the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission)
- Information from financial institutions in relation to payment
We will only collect personal information about you from third parties where:
- You have consented to such collection;
- Such collection is necessary to enable us to appropriately provide our Services; or
- It is legally permissible for us to do so.
3. How we collect and hold personal information
We may collect personal information from you, or from a third party. We may collect personal information in a variety of ways, including:
- Via online/ electronic forms
- Over the telephone or by email
- Paper correspondence
- Through cookies*** and similar technologies
We will hold all personal information in searchable electronic databases hosted on secure cloud servers which will only be accessible to certain authorised administrators for the purpose of maintaining the Services.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your collected personal information is accurate, complete and up to date.
Specifically, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your personal information when it is no longer required. However, we reserve the right to retain your personal information for as long as necessary to comply with any applicable law, for insurance and corporate governance purposes, or for the prevention of fraud and to resolve disputes. Your personal information may also be retained in our data back-up system.
4. How we use information
We may use or share your personal information with others for the primary purpose of ensuring the efficient and safe operation of the Services. This includes:
- Making certain information viewable by moderators, administrators or developers for the maintenance of the Services
- Using your personal information to procure police checks and using the police check results to assess whether an individual complies with our Terms of Service
- Liaising with government entities or financial institutions in relation to funding and payment of the Services
- Using health information to ensure the Service is run in accordance with any special health needs
- Informing a carer/ guardian/ support worker of any unsafe situations
We may also use your personal information (including sensitive information) for other purposes if:
- It is directly related to the efficient and safe operation of the Services;
- We have obtained your consent to use your personal information for this other purpose; or
- We are required by law to use it for this other purpose.
We may also, from time to time, share high level information in relation to the Services (e.g. usage statistics) to advertisers and marketing entities. This will not include any personal information.
5. Managing your personal information
You can access, edit and delete your personal information held by us at any time, so long as you are registered with the Services.
You have a right to request from us your personal information as well as to correct personal information that we hold about you. We will respond to your request within thirty (30) days and give written reasons for any refusal.****
Please direct your requests to our Privacy Officer via the contact details below.
You may make an enquiry or complaint to us about a breach of the APPs. To so, you should contact our Privacy Officer via the contact details below.
We will take reasonable steps to deal with enquiries or complaints about compliance with the APPs and will respond within thirty (30) days. We are committed to quick and fair resolution of complaints and will ensure that all complaints are taken seriously.
Complaints about our personal information handling practices may also be made to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). The OAIC can be contacted at:
Post: GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
7. How to contact us
Please contact our Privacy Officer below if you have any queries, requests or complaints:
PO Box 1105, Pacific Fair QLD 4218
*Personal information means information about you from which it is possible to determine your identity.
**Sensitive information is personal information that includes information or opinion about race or ethnicity, political views/ membership, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, criminal history or health information.
***A cookie is a small text file stored on your computer/ device that helps a website remember your preferences.
****The right of access and correction is subject to certain provisions in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).